Friday, December 09, 2016

Devotional 12-9-16

Read Luke 1:46-55

You never know what God has in store for you as you go about your day to day activities. Around the first of the month of October I had a appointment to get my nails done with my nail tech. I had just finished and was on my way home. Remembering that we needed a few things, I went into the Save Mart by the nail salon. While I was shopping I noticed a younger couple that was visibly doing their monthly grocery shopping, having their list and checking things off, making sure they purchase everything on their list.

After finishing my shopping I was in line behind them. While the clerk was checking them out, I started putting things on the counter behind them. As the lady was about finished I heard her say “I am going to do a random act of kindness now” and then she picked up meat, tatter tots and broccoli of mine and she said “I am going to buy this meal for you!” I was thinking “What is she doing paying for MY stuff? I should be paying for her stuff!” Then I heard her say that she and her husband make it a point to do this every so often. I said ? “Thank you, bless you!” And gave her a big hug.

Afterwards as I was walking out of the store I felt humbled, and felt guilty for accepting her kindness toward me. I felt that I should have paid it forward for her and not her for me! I was really taken back and I started Jesus’s teaching about feeding the hungry and giving a drink, etc.If you do it to the least of those or a stranger, you have done it to Jesus. It is hard to be on the receiving end of grace and kindness from a stranger, but we must remember that we also must feed the hungry; cloth the needy and so on to pay it forward.

We all must be on the look out for ways we as Christians can pay it forward during this advent season and be the hands and feet of Jesus for others. Some suggestions are adopt a family, pick a name of a child from the Angel Tree at the mall, or just be  observant,as you shop, of the other shoppers and you might be able to show Jesus to someone!

 Let us pray:

Dear Lord, thank you for putting us in the places we need to be in order to feel the love of Jesus, and to put us in out place to let us know how we should act as a child of God. Remembering that as Christians we should help others and be on the lookout how we can show Jesus to all. Thanks for your blessings and the teachings you provide for us as we go about our daily lives, keep us on tract to do your work and to reach others.
Amen

Melanie Herr

No comments: