Sunday, December 04, 2016

Devotional 12-4-16

“Reach for the Star-Child”

I don’t know about you, but I cannot let the Christmas season go by without watching every version of Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol. Yes, I know it was a novel first, and I have read it a few times, but I do occasionally like for Hollywood to do my thinking for me.

Whether my visions are brain or television induced, I have found that one scene has grown in significance to me lately.  When the Ghost of Christmas Present pulls back his robe to reveal the two children hiding there, Ignorance and Want, I feel helpless. What’s more, I think if Dickens were writing his book today, he would have to include a few more children under that robe.

In the hymn “Star Child” by Shirley Murray, we are reminded of all the children who are in need of our help. In 1994, she wrote the lyrics and set it to a beautiful melody by Carlton Young.

C. Michael Hawn wrote an article called “History of Hymns: “Star Child” for the United Methodist website, Discipleship Ministries. He made this observation: “While I do not wish to play Scrooge during this season of wonder and hope, our songs should include those that remind us that there are many among us for whom the joy of Christmas has never been experienced.

All of these children are created in the image of the “Star - Child, earth - Child” of stanza one and the “Hope-for-Peace Child” of stanza five. “This year, let the day arrive,” is a petition for the presence of the “Christ Child” for “everyone alive.”

Let this hymn be a gentle reminder that although we have made great strides by helping Lily’s Place, our Johnson Memorial Backpack Ministry, and the Ebenezer Community Outreach Center, there is more to be done before Christmas comes to everyone alive. Let’s reach for the Star-Child.

 “Star Child” by Shirley Murrays

1)Star-Child, earth-Child,  
Go-between of God,
Love Child, Christ Child,
Heaven’s lightening rod.(Refrain)

2)Street child, beat child,
no place left to go,
hurt child, used child,
no one wants to know (Refrain)

3)Grown child, old child,  
Memory full of years,
Sad child, lost child,
Story told in tears, (Refrain)

4)Spared child, spoiled child,
having, wanting more
wise child, faith child,
knowing joy in store. (Refrain)

5)Hope-for peace Child,                  
God’s stupendous sign,
Down-to-earth Child,  
Star of stars that shine. (Refrain)

Refrain:
This year, this year,
let the day arrive
when Christmas comes for everyone,
everyone alive.

Amen
Becky Warren

No comments: