Sunday, December 18, 2016

Devotional 12-18-16

Psalm 80:19 – “Restore us, O Lord God of hosts; let your face shine, that we may be saved.”

Recently I went to get my annual flu shot, so I could be protected from the dreaded flu and because my doctor told me I should get it.  It was a long wait for my turn, but when I was called back, the nurse was pleasant and light-hearted.  She asked the routine questions and then said, “Now you will feel a slight stick.”  Ha!!!! Tears immediately sprang to my eyes, as I felt the pain of that shot.  She apologized and told me she had accidently hit my bone.  Wow!! That hurt.  All of a sudden, I was mad and resentful.  I had waited quite a while for my turn to get that shot and then the nurse had really hurt me.  What was the deal???

But then the whole situation changed, as the nurse began a conversation with me, to ease the tension.  What was my occupation?  (Retired pastor) Really?  What denomination?  (United Methodist) Where did you serve before you retired?  (Beverly Hills, Marshall University, Johnson Memorial, Lavalette) Really!!  Johnson Memorial??

Then the situation really changed.  Now the nurse was telling me her story.  You see, she and her boyfriend used to be drug addicts.  They were living on the streets, always searching for ways to support their addictions, but they knew that when they were really hungry, they could go to Johnson Memorial on Thursday night for Common Grounds, to receive good food to eat and someone to talk to.  They never had enough money for food and they were always hungry, but the people there were so nice and tried to help with their needs, so Common Grounds was very important to them.

But then she said one evening she was really desperate, so she had snuck upstairs and searched around until she had found some money.  She said she only took a $20.00 bill, because they were really, really hungry and needed that money. However, she had been thinking about that stolen money a lot lately.  She and her boyfriend had gone through detox, and had been clean for 12 months, but the fact she had taken that money from the church – the place where they fed her physically and spiritually - really bothered her.  She wanted to know what she could do to make it right.

We talked for a while, and I made some suggestions to her, so she could make the situation right.  She confessed that she was a new Christian, and it was hard to understand what the Bible meant when she was reading it.  She asked for suggestions about particular scripture readings and translations.  I’m sure the next person in line, waiting for their flu shot was really discouraged, because we talked for quite a while.

The truth is  - God had restored this nurse and her boyfriend partly through the help they received through Common Grounds. (and detox) I was where I was that day, (even though it was a bit painful) because God put me there, to listen and help as well.

That’s the way God works.  We are God’s hands, God’s feet, God’s voice, God’s ears - to everyone we come in contact with.  Be open to God and let God’s face shine through you, so we may serve and save God’s children wherever we encounter them.  AMEN

Rev. Suzanne Ellis

No comments: