Saturday, December 17, 2016

Devotional 12-17-16

Acting in Peace
I’m a people-watcher.  I try to empathize with those around me, whether or not we have actually met.  Recently, I have reconnected with an old friend.  It has been intriguing to watch him.  He tells me of trials in his own life.  They are situations which make me angry or frustrated on his behalf.  When I ask how he dealt with each problem, his responses always astound me.   He answers irrational with wise.  He answers impatient with peace.  He answers complicated with clarity.  Time after time, he has responded with humility and grace.

Matthew 1: 18-25 tells of Joseph discovering that Mary was with child, even though the two had not yet lived together.  Verse 19 shares that Joseph was planning to ‘quietly dismiss’ Mary.  He was facing a complicated and dramatic situation.  Joseph could easily have shamed her throughout the community.  His world was turned upside down, but he made the better choice.   Even before the angel appeared to him, Joseph was responding with peace and grace.

People are rash, impatient, illogical, immature, and vengeful.   In this age of email and social media, we enjoy the luxury of instant access to the world.  In turn, we seem to also want to have an instant answer for events around us.  Rather than taking the time to think and pray for the correct response (which is often silence!), we act first.  While we journey through another Christmas season – the season of peace—let us take just a little more time to ask God what He would have us do.

Father God, thank you for the gift of your truly amazing grace.  Please help me to listen to you before I speak or act based on my own understanding.  Bless me with peace and discernment, and let me be the voice of Your love to those around me.  In Your holy name,  Amen.

 “Practice the pause : When in doubt, pause.  When angry, pause. When tired, pause.  When stressed, pause.  And when you pause, pray.” –Toby Mac

Natalie Wray

No comments: