Monday, December 19, 2016

Devotional 12-19-16

Let It Shine!

Isaiah, chapter 9 foretells the coming of Jesus. Verse 2 tells of a great light coming into the world. Jesus is the light of the world. Followers of Jesus are called to reflect that light to the world.

As a child I remember singing:
This little light of mine, I’m going to let it shine,
 Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine!
Hide it under a bushel, No! I’m going to let it shine!
Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine!
It seemed so easy to let it shine as I sang those words! But, like so many things it doesn’t seem quite so easy as an adult. I have known people who speak easily of their faith. Their faces seem to radiate a light that permeates their whole being. Does my face do that? Speaking easily is not a talent I have been given. How can I reflect God’s love? It doesn’t take a special talent to be more aware of the people around me. A kind word, a smile, a pat on the back, or just listening can go a long way for someone who is having a bad day. All it takes is remembering that everyone I meet is a child of God and deserves my love, respect, and attention.

Isn’t that a wonderful way to reflect God’s love? Caring enough about God’s children to really see them--isn’t that the perfect gift to give the Christ child?

Let your light shine!

Margaret Williams

No comments: