Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Devotional 12-13-16


In 2000 I wrote an Advent Devotion called “Lean on Me” after the song from the 70’s.  I talked about how difficult it was for me to give up control and lean on God.  It has been 16 years since then and I definitely have learned to lean on God! Now I have another song in my heart this Advent season. It is called “What the world needs is Love,” especially after the political campaign of 2016. The anger and frustration continues.

John 3:16: “For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” What is the Christmas message? God gave us the gift of L-O-V-E on Christmas Day. The song says “What the world needs is Love.” I need it! You need it! I choose love over the darkness of the past few months in the political arena.

One of the four advent candles represents Love. Advent is all about love.  The season is of waiting for the greatest gift of all. In the movie “It is a wonderful Life,” George permits despair to take over but finally realizes that love is the only thing that matters.  The love of his family and friends is all that matters; not wealth or material things.  He learns this from an angel who is trying to get his wings. It is a simple story, but each year when I watch it, it creates the same feeling of love and joy. This joy and especially, the love should be in our hearts at this time of year. I choose L-O-V-E!

Let us pray:
Dear Heavenly Father,
Please help us to remember that your precious gift of your son to us on Christmas Day was your gift of love to us and let never take it for granted.
In present day turmoil, we need to remember this gift not only during Advent, but every day.

Hear Our Prayer
Carolee Brown

No comments: