Friday, December 16, 2016

Devotional 12-16-16

God Claims You

Lectionary Readings: Isaiah 7:10-16; Psalm 80:1-7; Romans 1: 1-7; Matthew 1: 18-25

“Because Joseph her husband was a righteous man and did not want to expose her to public disgrace, he had in mind to divorce her quietly.  But after he had considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, “Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit.  She will give birth to a son and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins.”……. when Joseph woke up, he did what the angel of the Lord had commanded him and took Mary home as his wife.” Matthew 1: 19-21, 24.

The Gospel Lesson this week focuses on Joseph.  Joseph was a descendant of King David and it was important for the gospel writer to connect Jesus to this lineage and heritage.  As Joseph was about to divorce Mary quietly because she had confessed to him that she was with child, God decided to intervene in the situation so that His plan could unfold.

I do not often remember any of my dreams and the ones I can recall in the morning are not usually pleasant to think about. But Joseph’s dream was very specific and included a visit from an angel of the Lord.  If I had this dream, would I believe it in the morning???  The angel gave clear instructions regarding the future of Joseph, Mary and Jesus.  Joseph was to accept Mary as his wife with no more fear about who “fathered” the child, because he was conceived by the Holy Spirit.  I don’t know how Joseph believed this, for surely he had some knowledge of how children are made???   He was to name the baby Jesus and the child would save his people from their sins. WHAT??? How was that going to happen?? The angel even quoted the prophecy of Isaiah 7: 14 as the basis for acceptance of Mary as his wife and her status as a virgin prior to conception.

I guess I am just too cynical to give a dream the power to guide my actions. Maybe it is because I have never had a dream of this magnitude or maybe God knows who would respond to an angel visit. I do think that problem solving can take place as one sleeps and that after a good night’s sleep, a person can have clarity of thought. But Joseph’s life-changing dream not only included a very persuasive angel but also one with a specific “to do” list. However, the most astounding part of the story was Joseph’s response to the dream:  “When Joseph woke up, he did what the angel of the Lord had commanded him and took Mary home as his wife”.  Joseph claimed Mary as his wife and then he proceeded to claim Jesus as his son.  Although there are not many verses allotted to the relationship between Jesus and Joseph, this passage provides a glimpse of Joseph’s acceptance of Jesus and his own obedience to God.

Joseph claimed and accepted both Mary and Jesus, just as God claims each of us.  The following lyrics are not of an Advent or Christmas theme, but they do highlight the grace of God as he calls out to each of us to trust his love, to listen to his voice, that he knows us by name and we are His!!!  What a message to contemplate during this busy, hectic season of Advent:  “I claim you as my choice, I love you and you are MINE!!”

“You Are Mine”
by David Haas         (p. 2218 Faith We Sing)

I will come to you in the silence,
I will lift you from all your fear.
You will hear my voice, I claim you as my choice,
be still and know I am here.

Refrain:
Do not be afraid, I am with you.
I have called you each by name.
Come and follow me, I will bring you home;
I love you and you are mine.

Dear Loving Lord of all things, We hear You calling to us during this Advent season.  With Joseph as an example of obedience, help us to heed your call and trust the instructions.  We thank you for claiming us and loving us so very much.  We are so blessed to be chosen by you, to belong to you, and to be in relationship with you.  Help us to heed your instructions and guidance in whatever format they may take.  May we ponder each day the lessons that point us to prepare more fully for the birth of our Savior.  AMEN.

Chyrl Budd

No comments: