Saturday, December 10, 2016

Devotional 12-10-16

Christmas and the Doll

Christmas is a time for thanking God for the gift of his son and reflecting on what a sacrifice that was. It is a time of giving, parents often giving sacrificially. It is a time of being grateful for family, friends and much more.

The poem below expresses thanks to a mother for her sacrifices on her daughter’s behalf. It was the year the Cabbage Patch dolls were new to the toy scene. All the dolls were gone from store shelves before the mother even knew what they were, so she made a cloth doll as close to the original as she could.

I just remembered
the Christmas you worked in the basement
hours after you tucked me in bed
making that beautiful doll
like the one in the store
I had cried for.

You must have spent weeks
down there
alone
in the quiet of the winter night
tireless
cutting and stuffing the fleshy body
tacking in the long, brown hair
painting her smiling face.

You prayed with each stitch
it would be enough to make me smile
on Christmas morning
and I don’t think I ever told you
how much I loved you for that.

Connie Karickhoff Colvin
(Submitted by Maudie Karickhoff)

No comments: