Saturday, December 07, 2019

Devotional 12-7-19

The Mystery of Advent:  Chaos or Connection?
Isaiah 11:1-10
Psalm 72:1-7, 18-19
Romans 15:4-13
Matthew 3:1-12

Has anyone else struggled with the conflicting emotions of eagerly anticipating the arrival of children and grandchildren coming in for Christmas vs woefully realizing the exhaustion of cleaning and decorating and cooking and baking for said children and grandchildren coming in for Christmas? How easily I fall prey to false expectations; the wolf and the lamb who live within me.  Too much worry clouds my heart and dampens the joy I know I used to have as past Advent Seasons approached.  How can I share the excitement of the shepherds at the manger in Bethlehem with my precious grandchildren?  How do I let them know the mystery and miracle of the Christ child?

I’ll soon be entering the last year of my 60’s; therefore, it’s really disingenuous for me to think I can recapture the joy of a child looking forward to Christmas. But, is it really beyond my grasp?  The Isaiah passage tells me not to give up; something new and better will be happening.  A new leader of a new kingdom in which peace and harmony abound.  I can look forward with hope for what many describe as “The Peaceable Kingdom,” one in which there are no adversaries, enemies, dangers or risks for my children and grandchildren. There will be no “them” and “us;” rather we will be able to care for one another, build relationships with one another, and let memories of risks and danger fade away.  No longer will fear of “what might happen” determine how we embrace and share with one another.

Reading further in the Isaiah passage and moving on to Psalm 72, we learn of a new ruler who brings a fresh new way of being, of ruling. King Solomon’s prayer (Psalm 72) asks for God’s guidance and wisdom to rule in righteousness, with justice and compassion for all his people. The prayer is for life-giving, nurturing leadership for everyone. Indeed, these Old Testament passages offer all of us a reason to journey to the manger again!

In Seasons of Celebration, Thomas Merton wrote, “The Advent mystery is the beginning of the end of all in us that is not yet Christ.”

Gracious, merciful God:
May we welcome others, even as you have welcomed me, knowing that your mercy is for all people.  Until we become like Christ, may harmony mark our holidays, and may the peace of Christ calm and correct our divided world. This, we pray in the name of the Advent Child, Jesus Christ, our Lord.  Amen

Linda Summers

No comments: