Monday, December 07, 2009

Devotional 12-8-09

A Merry Little Christmas

In 1944, Meet Me in St. Louis was released. The musical starred Judy Garland, Tom Drake, Mary Astor, Margaret O’Brien, and June Lockhart. It told the story of four sisters living in St. Louis, Missouri, at the time of the Louisiana Purchase Exposition World’s Fair of 1904. The musical was directed by Vincent Minnelli and included “Meet Me in St. Louis, Louis”; “The Trolley Song”; and “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas”. The Christmas song became a favorite of WWII soldiers who were far away from home and their families who missed them so dearly. It was also to become a favorite of mine.

I was born in the 1950’s. The war was over, but the songs of that era would be a part of my family’s Christmas for as long as I lived at my parents’ home. Some of you may remember the Firestone and Columbia Christmas albums that would feature stars such as Julie Andrews, Judy Garland, Andy Williams, Johnny Mathis, Bing Crosby, and Mel Torme. “Merry Little Christmas” would play on the stereo, and I would sing along with the rest of the family. That was a very special time.

As a teen in the 1960’s, I watched Meet Me in St. Louis on the Saturday Night Movie presentation. I don’t know if I had seen it before, but it was the first time that I noticed that the lyrics that Judy Garland was singing to “Merry Little Christmas” were not the words I had learned. They were somewhat depressing; they made me sad – and as a teen I didn’t need an outside stimulus to make me miserable.

I decided that I liked the newer version better. I later learned that the words were changed in 1957 at Frank Sinatra’s request. He told the writer, Hugh Martin, that he needed jollier words for his new Christmas album. Sinatra’s popularity was so strong that Martin could not refuse him, so the following generations learned the new version.

Recently I watched the movie again; it transported me to a time when my family was all together. What is strange is that the words that so depressed me in my youth were somewhat comforting now. The following are the original lyrics:

Have yourself a merry little Christmas
Let your heart be light
Next year all our troubles will be out of sight
Have yourself a merry little Christmas
Make the yuletide gay
Next year all our troubles will be miles away
Once again as in olden days
Happy golden days of yore
Faithful friends who were dear to us
Will be near to us once more
Someday soon we all will be together
If the fates allow
Until then, we'll have to muddle through somehow
So have yourself a merry little Christmas now


The words we sing today talk about hanging a shining star upon the highest bough. My family did hang a silver star on the treetop as did many families at that time. As a matter of fact, I don’t know what we would have put in its place.

But when Don and I were married in 1975, we didn’t have a star. I don’t remember why. Maybe we couldn’t find one, or maybe we couldn’t afford one, but in its place we put a cardboard angel. She wasn’t particularly pretty; she had that “’70s” folksy look about her, if you know what I mean. But that same angel has adorned our treetops for the last thirty-five years.

From the very beginning, our Christmases, like our lives, were not the pretty post-cards that we thought we were supposed to live. Year after year we “muddled through” less-than-perfect Christmases and less-than-perfect lives. We lived, loved, worked, raised children, and suffered year after year, searching for the perfection we thought we were supposed to attain. It never came.

What did come – love based on respect, trust, and old-fashioned hard work – was so much better. My friends and colleagues have recognized my weaknesses but have decided to accept me anyway. I have come to realize that while I think I know everything, the world continues to turn if I don’t give my opinion. I also know that my family loves me unconditionally, or they would no longer be speaking to me. I am one lucky “muddler”.

God sent his son into the world to teach us to love one another. He didn’t say it would be easy, or that we would always succeed. Each national disaster and personal problem will test that love. As the Christmas season draws near, we must fight the urge to strive for perfection. Even Jesus balked at that description. Just love one another, do what you can to end pain and suffering, and buy the cookies, if cookies you must have. That will boost the economy and give you time to be with your family. With God’s help, you’ll muddle through just fine.

Heavenly Father,
Bring us closer together in order to love one another as you have commanded. In your name we pray. Amen

Becky Warren

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Becky,
Your devotion brings back memories for this baby boomer. We also had a cardbord angel on our tree. Untill mom passed in 2001 she always had it on top of her tree even after all of us had grown and move away. I don't know where that angel is anymore. Perhaps my brother has it.
Grace and Peace
Rev L Roland Armstong ret.