Saturday, December 26, 2009

Devotional 12-26-09

Christmas Boots


I love Christmas. Notwithstanding the argument that the holiday has become very commercialized, I love Christmas. I love the smells and the sounds and the food and the crisp air and well, I love Christmas.
I was about to say ‘most,’ but I will correct myself and say ‘all’ of the last minute rush and painful need for a 25th hour in the day is entirely self inflicted. I do not lay out my plan soon enough and once laid out, I do not act upon it swiftly. Believe it or not, I DO like shopping for gifts. I enjoy the challenge of selecting just the right present for just the right person, and I enjoy the happiness shown when the fruit of that research is unwrapped.

To say that our family had a Christmas tradition may be a misnomer. Raised as an Army brat, we traveled. As the high school years came along, the Army days had ended and things may have taken on somewhat of a pattern. As if it were a tradition, the question is asked of us and by us – even if there is no intent to give or receive, “What do you want for Christmas?” We are almost petitioning for a list. When our boys were (very) young we asked for the proverbial list. One of them had wanted a computer. No not a PC/MAC type computer but a little Toys R Us learning device. When Christmas morning came, and the present opening time was coming to a close, the little one asked, “Where is the computer I ordered?”
We sometimes treat Christmas as a catalog ordering event. “Dear God, thank you for your Son, I would like more hours in the day, more money, less hassle, nicer co-workers, a new car, season football tickets, maybe a boat and, well, that’ll do for now. And, by the way, could we get some world peace and a slow down on that global warming thing?”

As a kid I always remember being asked what I would like for Christmas. I never remember having a desire along the order of ‘If I don’t get a blue bike I w-i-l-l j-u-s-t d-i-e!!!’ I don’t remember everything I got, but I do remember NEVER being disappointed or unhappy on Christmas.

I do have a memory of our Christmas living in Germany when, on my list, I wanted a pair of cowboy boots. I don’t recall what led me to like the boots or to ask for them but that was what was on my mind that year. Christmas morning dawned and in a gleeful shredding of pretty paper, all of the presents were opened…. no boots. I remember that there were no boots, and I remember being a little deflated. When the dust settled, and we caught our collective breath, Mom pulled on the cord controlling the drapes covering the large living room window. There in the corner(s) of the window sill….. cowboy boots. A pair for me, and a pair for Rob. Joy unspeakable!

Isn’t God that way with us? He fulfills our needs and even provides to us what we think we want. We are happy and about to move on with the day and suddenly he draws back the curtains on the window to the stable and reveals what we most desire – His Son.

Steve Matthews

No comments: