Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Devotional 12-3-09

Prepare the Way for the Lord!


Today is my son Mark’s birthday. When I saw the date for my devotional I couldn’t help going back 37 years to the time of his birth. I remembered the anticipation and excitement we felt as we got ready for our second child and the pure joy on the day of our son’s birth. As I started to read the scripture for this week, I thought about how Elizabeth and Zachariah must have felt. We were young parents with one child already, but they had waited their whole lives for this moment--a moment they thought would never come. Imagine, first to find you were to finally have a child and then to find out that this child would be the prophet who was to prepare the way for the long awaited savior.

And you my child, will be called a prophet of the most high;
for you will go before the Lord to prepare the way for Him,” (Luke 1;76 NIV)


In a way we all go to prepare the way for the Lord. Every person that we meet, every situation in which we find ourselves, is an opportunity to let God’s love reflect in our lives and make Him known to the world. I recently received an E-mail that had one line that really hit me. “Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.” As Christians we need to try to be kinder, more patient, and more compassionate-to let God’s love shine through us to the world. This Christmas season let us truly go forth and prepare the way for the Lord, in our own hearts and in the hearts of all we meet.

Margaret Williams

No comments: