Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Devotional 12-10-09

Luke 3:7-18

In this passage, John, the Baptist discusses salvation with the crowds who have come to be baptized. He warns them not to think that their salvation lies simply in who they are (descendents of Abraham) but tells them that in order to be the wheat that God will gather into his granary rather than the chaff he will cut down and throw into the fire, they must "bear fruits worthy of repentance." In other words, their actions and thoughts should show that they are trying to change from living a self-centered to a God-centered life.

When asked what kind of acts would demonstrate such a transformation, John instructs them to share what they have -- their clothes and their food -- with the less fortunate, to be honest in their business dealings and to deal justly with those over whom they have power.

Finally, John tells the crowds that he is not the Messiah, humbly proclaiming his unworthiness. John's role as witness for Jesus was tremendously important, however. No longer "a voice crying out in the wilderness," he was among the people, and his teaching and baptizing were preparing them to receive the Messiah and the radical concepts he would introduce.

Who or what helps prepare the way and open your heart to be receptive to the coming of Jesus in this season of Advent? Is it the commercials for what we can buy to adorn ourselves or make our lives easier or give to someone else to do the same? What about the decorations - the Santas, snowmen, nutcrackers, nativity scenes, brightly lit trees with ornaments we have collected over the years? Maybe Christmas music or parties with friends and co-workers?

While I certainly enjoy these things, and they are part of the "tradition" of Christmas, I have become aware that they don't really prepare my heart to welcome and receive Jesus.

Increasingly, I have felt a longing for something more centered on what John tried to convey to his followers. I have found that the fruits I bear that evidence my attempt, feeble as it is sometimes, to walk more closely with God, are what the Christmas season is really all about.

Holding on to self-centered notions from childhood that measure Christmas by the quality of the gifts I received prevented me from bearing any fruit at all. I have come to realize that the fruits worthy of repentance include the things I share with those I don't even know - - coats and clothing for those lacking something appropriate for the weather; food items to help in preventing hunger; time so that those unable to get out to church may see the friendly faces of our youth; money for organizations which provide vital help to our needy sisters and brothers and to animals; and most of all, love. Even if it is just a smile or kind word so that the stressed clerk in the store, the server in the restaurant, or the mail carrier feel appreciated, it is important. Maybe a hug for someone who's having a bad day or perhaps a courteous gesture such as holding a door open for that person with packages or in a wheelchair, or letting the driver of the other car have that parking space I really wanted might make a difference. These are fairly small fruits to be sure, but I hope they are like Miracle Grow and lead to more frequent and more sacrificial giving of myself and my resources so that my fruit tree looks pleasingly productive to the one for whom I have been preparing.

Mary Taylor

No comments: