Saturday, December 22, 2007

Devotional 12-23-07

Where you lead me


Scripture: Matthew 1: 18-25; Luke 1: 26-38

“Where you lead me, I will follow. Where you lead me, I’ll give my life away.”

These words from a favorite song of mine speak of faith, a subject I have been thinking a lot about lately. What does it mean to be faithful, to step out in faith? The more I think about it, the more questions I have.

In Hebrews, Chapter 11, Verse 1, faith is defined for us as “the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.” Another favorite song describes God as “everything I cannot see...everything I cannot say...you are everything impossible” and tells us that we will find freedom by surrendering. The idea of surrendering myself completely to God’s will makes me nervous. I think some people can do it more easily than others. The writer of Hebrews lists several Biblical giants of faith, including Noah and Abraham who followed God’s lead in very life-changing ways and, as a result, did amazing things, though what they achieved was neither easy nor quick. There are others of us who probably need to take it a step at a time. Jonah comes to mind.

Joseph and Mary, two ordinary people who are the subjects of the scripture passages listed above, took extraordinary leaps of faith when they surrendered their wills, their hopes and dreams to be God’s servants based only on a dream and a visit from an angel. Granted, these unusual events made it very clear to the two of them what God wanted and that He is amazing and in control, but to give up everything you know for an uncertain future and to be responsible for bearing and raising God’s own son? That is surrender, submission, faith beyond what I could imagine, and, of course, it literally changed EVERYTHING.

Most of us will never be called to build an ark, begin a family when our lives are nearly over, part the sea, walk on water, feed large numbers of people with meager resources, or give up our lives to save our brothers and sisters. We are, however, asked by God to step out in faith in many other ways. Look at those in our church who follow God’s leading to teach, preach, work on committees, sing or play music, cook, clean, make others feel welcome or work behind the scenes to keep our church going. They are marvelous examples of faithful and faith-filled people.

I can’t end this without mentioning the profound faith that led a new family into our church who have blessed us richly. Last spring, Bob and Jenny Matthews left behind successful careers, friends and the only life their sons, Nathan and Alex, had ever known to move to Huntington. Let me explain that they were not going to a foreign land - - Bob has family here and spent part of his life in this area. Nonetheless, based on God’s leading, they sold their home and moved here from Virginia not really knowing what was in store for them. They will tell you that God was there at every turn preparing the way, smoothing their paths. Since they returned to this area less than one year ago, Bob and Jenny have joined the church, gone on Emmaus walks, Jenny now sings with the Common Grounds praise team, and she was one of three who preached the sermon on Laity Sunday. Her next venture will be to lead an 11-week religious study in our church despite having had no real teaching experience. She and Bob have a keen sense of God’s will for them and have taken significant steps out of their comfort zones in obedience and service to Him. They and many others in our church are marvelous examples for me, and I hope that, with God’s help, I too will be more comfortable stepping out to do what He asks.

Prayer: Dearest Lord, help us to trust you and believe in you so deeply that we, without reservation, put our hand in yours and agree to follow where you lead. Amen.

Mary Taylor

No comments: