Thursday, December 20, 2007

Devotional 12-20-07

"WHY ME?"

When you hear the question asked, "why me?", or ask it of yourself, it's usually because something unpleasant has caused you to bemoan the happening whatever it might be. Some problem may have arisen in your life, perhaps a significant loss of some kind or an unhappy incident, job or financial worries. Whatever it may be you wonder why it had to happen to you.

For quite a while I have asked myself this question, "why me?" but not because of any unhappiness or traumatic incident. Just the opposite in fact. Why have I been so blessed with a happy home and family, a church in which to worship freely, food to eat, shelter, clothing, a job to do, a free country in which to live, so many blessings. I don't have to look very far to see people with problems, ill health, unhappiness, and I wonder "why me?" that I have been spared such.

I had never spoken of this question to anyone until recently when I heard from a friend of mine. As a matter of fact, she was my very first Huntington friend when I came here over fifty years ago. She told me that she had been diagnosed with breast cancer and was to undergo a lumpectomy. What a shock.

My friend and I have developed a custom over the years of taking one another to lunch on our respective birthdays. Her birthday was occurring at this time and thankfully not too long after the surgical procedure to remove the malignancy she was feeling well enough for her birthday lunch.

As old friends do we spoke of many things and in discussing her recent surgery she said, "I feel so blessed that everything has turned out well. Why me, when so many other women have been less fortunate." I was amazed that even following upon this trying time in her life she was able to ask why she was so blessed.

What's the answer? I don't know. Why do some lead lives seemingly without great trials and others face huge problems? Perhaps at this happiest of seasons when we celebrate Jesus' birth we can each wonder "why me?". Indeed, "why us" that we are so blessed as to enjoy the birth of our Savior and to know His redeeming grace. I think it is a question that doesn't need an answer, just our love and acceptance of His great gift.

Matthew 1:23 "...they shall call his name Emmanuel, ...God with us".

Count your blessings, Name them one by one,
Count your blessings, See what God has done.
Count your blessings, Name them one by one,
Count your many blessings, see what God has done.

Jean Dean

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My sister fought cancer for 5 years, was in remission for 10, then fought for one final year before dying on my birthday 2 years ago. She never asked "Why me?" but "Why not me?!" It was her constant prayer that she would suffer so others in the family would be spared the dreadful disease.

And Jean, if you are the former mayor, I babysat for you about 45 years ago. Blessings to your family.