Sunday, December 16, 2007

Devotional 12-17-07

Baby Love

Isaiah 29: 17-24

Babies are amazing. I don’t mean amazing as in Brad Pitt looks amazing for his age or Nicole Kidman’s dress at the Oscars was amazing. I mean polio vaccine, heart transplant, and walking on the moon amazing. The way that wee ones learn to grab our fingers, tug at our pants, and look searchingly into our eyes – the way that they steal our hearts – has to be God’s plan to get us hooked before we learn how much work it’s going to take to raise them. Anyway, they are amazing, and like jelly beans, there’s always room for one more.

I didn’t always feel that way. When my daughter Anna was born, I knew that I could never love anyone else as much as I loved her. She was perfection; that was why I was so scared when I discovered I was carrying Betsy. I knew I would love the new baby, but could I love her as much as Anna?

Of course, you know the answer to that question. From the moment Betsy came into the world, she stole my heart, just as she has stolen many of yours, and my heart overflowed with love not only for Betsy but for Anna as well.

The years flew by, and the next thing I knew, Anna was married and expecting a child. Once again I felt that cold fear well up inside. Would I love my grandchild enough? Could I be patient and kind enough? Would I be able to stay awake?

Once again my heart opened to envelop that little bundle of joy. Landon became my best reason for rising each day. He became a tonic for whatever ailed me. And he enabled me to become a life-long member of the Grandparents’ Club.

The club is presided over by my husband, Don, and membership includes the custodians at Vinson Middle School, many of the cashiers at Walmart, and a plethora of church members. We meet in hallways and checkout lines to compare stories and pictures. Occasionally we even listen to one another’s stories before interrupting to tell one of our own.

What does any of this have to do with today’s scripture reading? The reading comes from the book of Isaiah, a prophet who lived more than 700 years before the birth of Christ. Reading Isaiah can be a real “downer” because he was warning Jerusalem to get its act together before bad things happened. He begins many passages with “Woe to those...” warnings. But today’s passage is on a lighter note.

Isaiah tells Jerusalem that it won’t be long before things will get better. The deaf shall hear and the blind shall see. The meek and poor will come into their own through the Holy One of Israel. God tells the house of Jacob that they shall no longer be ashamed, for when Jacob sees his children, the work of God’s hands, in his midst, they will sanctify the Holy One of Jacob and will stand in awe of the God of Israel. And those who err in spirit will come to understanding, and those who murmur will accept instruction.

How happy those parents and grandparents must have been to know that God was on their side, watching out for their children and grandchildren and guiding the parents and grandparents to teach the things that were really important!

How lucky we are to have God on our side, watching out for our children and grandchildren and guiding us to teach the things that are really important - how amazing God’s love is, how amazing God’s grace can be when they need it, and how God’s amazing baby boy was born to save them!

That baby was truly amazing!

Heavenly Father, in a time when words like awesome and amazing are used to describe designer dresses and football plays, help us to remember that you sent your son to us so that we could comprehend your awesome love and amazing grace. In your name we pray. Amen

Becky Sturm

No comments: