Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Devotional 12-13-07

Be and Live

Please read Genesis 15:1-18.

In his relationship with God, Abraham, a real pioneer in trusting God, had to risk much. He and all of his descendents before us paved the way for us for the past 4000 years. God had made a promise to Abraham (his name was Abram at the time) that moved him to leave familiar territory. It is hard for me to imagine having that kind of trust in God. I like to play it safe; I want to map it out; I need to know my ETA; I can’t just take off to go who-knows-where.

Even if I took such a step of faith, how long would I wait for God? Maybe until my vacation days are used up. But after God’s promise to Abraham was made, Abraham didn’t just wake up and see God’s glorious plan revealed in front of him. No, he had to keep on trusting, keep on believing, and keep on waiting. His life took many detours and turns that might have caused us to go back to the comfortable surroundings of Ur.

In light of all of this, a single verse in the above passage, Verse 6, jumps out at me. And [Abraham] believed the Lord; and the Lord reckoned it to him as righteousness. Genesis 15:6.

Abraham believed. His belief caused him to act; but it was his belief that was of foremost importance. It sounds like something out of the New Testament, doesn’t it? It sounds like grace!
Mark 1:15: “…repent, and believe in the good news.”
Mark 5:36: “Do not fear; only believe.”
John 3:16: “For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him may not perish but may have eternal life.”
1 Peter 1:8 “Without having seen him you love him; though you do not now see him you believe in him and rejoice with unutterable and exalted joy.”
Our believing is our first step in our life in Christ. Sometimes we get so caught up in ourselves, in our lives, in our stuff, even in church, that we don’t take time to just believe. Similarly, we’re so busy doing that we don’t take time to be. But what was it that was reckoned to Abram as righteousness? Just believing. I like to play with words. Look what happens when you break apart “believe.” Be and live.

I attended a funeral yesterday where the gospel choir sang “Take me back, take me back dear Lord, to the place where I first believed you. Take me back, take me back dear Lord where I first believed.” It was a powerful reminder to me that the place where we first believed is Holy Ground. Sometimes we move from that place, and we need to ask God’s help to take us back there, to that place and time when we believed and trusted completely.

Be and live. Believe!

Dear God, take me back, take me back dear Lord, to the place where I first believed you. Take me back, take me back dear Lord where I first believed. Amen.

Jeff Taylor

No comments: