Tuesday, December 07, 2021

Devotional 12-7-21

 Rejoice in All Things

Zephaniah 3: 14-20;  Isaiah 12: 2-6;  Philippians 4: 4-7;  Luke 3: 7-18


“Rejoice in the Lord always…Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4: 4-7

The date, December 7th, 1941, needs no explanation for most adults.  The peace of a quiet Sunday morning was replaced with horror and disbelief caused by the Japanese bombs at Pearl Harbor Naval Base. Our leaders declared war and we were plunged into the stress and strain of a country at war. I was not born yet, but the stories from history class and the stories of those who lived through these times have been significant for me. How could this have happened?  What made people respond in the way that they did? How did they cope with their circumstances?

December 7th was also significant to me in the year 1995. My son David and I awoke to the sights and sounds of our house on fire. I was not fully aware at the time of how dire the circumstances were, but between neighbors, fire department and health care providers, plus family, friends, and colleagues we were surrounded and cared for by many angel-servants of God. Looking back from the vantage point of many years, I am overwhelmed by God’s presence and ongoing care. At the time, though, I was overcome with anxiety, worry, fear and a sense of helplessness.

The command to “Do not be anxious about anything” in the scriptures was not realistic to me at the time. How in the world could someone just let go of their anxiety and pray with thanksgiving??? I couldn’t. I was praying, but not with thanksgiving! Eventually, though, I began to see that God had granted me life and was healing my wounds and distress. Both David and I would go on. In fact, we not only survived, but in many ways, we began to thrive. Doctors and nurses were God’s servants in the healing process. The house became much stronger and safer after a thorough rebuild. Family and friends acted as strong advisors and helped in multiple ways. And maybe the greatest gift to us all: David became a father on Christmas Day in that same December. We welcomed Austin as a promise that the blessing of family would continue.

The lesson to rejoice in the Lord always remains true today. We have had major worries, cares and concerns in our lives since then, including deaths and a pandemic.  How do we cope with our circumstances?    We can become bitter, cynical and distrustful.  But God calls us to higher thoughts—pray and make petitions with thanksgiving---rejoice in your circumstances—I am with you always!!! 

We lost a lot of material things to that fire in 1995, but we gained a stronger reliance on God and the promise that God’s peace could be ours. Anyone visiting my house today will see that the material things were replaced with abundance. I think that my experience as a patient made me a more caring and patient nurse. I know that my role as a grandmother was a way of rejoicing that my health and strength were restored. God cares for us through every circumstance and leads us to a closer relationship if we follow his guidance and direction. Help us to discern that direction this Advent season.

Dear Understanding and Wise One, We are so thankful for your faithfulness in keeping your promises and guiding us to a closer walk with you.  Your gifts are beyond measure and your miraculous love is amazing. We are not worthy of your grace and mercy, but rejoice that they are so freely given. AMEN.

Chyrl Budd

No comments: