Thursday, December 16, 2021

Devotional 12-16-21

 Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.” --Matthew 19:14, NIV

Ah, that spark of Christmas spirit. 

I was presented with a Third Angel today. Alice Hoffman’s book The Third Angel mentions three kinds of angels. The Angel of Life, the Angel of Death, and the Third Angel, someone who comes into our lives and by helping that person, we become better individuals.

My four sons range in age from 30-46. Christmas shopping for them isn’t challenging--write a check, grab some gift cards. Even shopping for my teenage grandchildren, who have their own tastes and activities, isn’t much fun--write a check, grab some gift cards.

Today I stopped at Ebenezer Community Outreach Center to select an “angel” from their daycare students to provide some gifts from their wish list. I was assigned a 4-year boy. Yay! As I read through his wish list, I was like the Grinch whose heart grew three sizes at the end of the book.

“Action figures, cars, Spiderman, Batman.” Oh man! You can imagine how many action figures and cars I bought over the years. I just gave containers of them to a great-nephew and I sort of hated to see them go. I call my youngest son my “comic book kid,” so getting to find Spiderman toys again sounds like a dream.

“Magnetic blocks.” I discovered some really cool magnetic toys when my grandson was younger and I loved buying and playing them. Fun!

“Learning toys.” I taught preschool for seventeen years so educational toys are definitely in my wheelhouse.

“Shirts and pants.” Look out children’s department, here I come! 

Thank you, little 4-year-old boy, for giving this old Grinch a dose of Christmas spirit. And thank you, God, for putting this child in my path.

Anita Gardner Farrell

No comments: