Friday, December 17, 2021

Devotional 12-17-21

 Read Luke 1:39-55

Mary, did you know 
That your Baby Boy would one day walk on water?
Mary, did you know
That your Baby Boy would save our sons and daughters?
Did you know 
That your Baby Boy has come to make you new
This Child that you delivered, will soon deliver you.

The above is from a song by Mark Lowry and Buddy Greene, “Mary, Did You Know?”

I first heard Kathy Mattea sing it on her cassette tape, “Good News” I purchased many years ago.

I loved the song that first time I heard it.

Thinking of the song and advent, I am thinking of the time I became a mother to my son, Michael, December 27, 1977. A wondrous and glorious time for me. Luke 2 verse 19, “But Mary kept all these things and pondered them in her heart.”  Did she know then that her son would one day walk on water? Did she know the blind will see , the deaf will hear, the lame will leap, did she know her Baby Boy would one day rule the nations?

I don’t know much about the childhood of Jesus but I wonder.  Did Mary sing and read to her son like I did? Did she watch over him and make sure he didn’t get hurt?  Did she take him to the market, for walks, to sports practices? Did she oversee his education, help with homework? Did she take him to her church like I did?

Luke 1:49, For He hath regarded the low estate of his handmaiden: for behold, from henceforth all generations will call me blessed.   I believe Mary knew she was blessed. I was and am blessed as well. Thanks be to God !

"The sleeping child you’re holding is the Great, I Am.”    Good news, indeed !!  Amen !

Kay Lewis

No comments: