Friday, December 10, 2021

Devotional 12-10-21

 Blessings


“John answered them all, ‘I baptize you with water. But one more powerful than I will come, the thongs of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire.” Luke 3:16 NIV

My Life Application Bible has this explanation for this verse: “Jesus’ baptism with fire includes the power needed to do God’s will.” The power to do God’s will! Sometimes I feel that it is all I can do to get through the day and take care of myself and my family! How can I find the energy and time to do something for God? Then He offers me the opportunity to do something easy. Something that takes no planning or commitment on my part, like really listening to a friend, letting someone go ahead of me in line, or giving someone sad a hug. A conversation about God with a complete stranger has been a blessing to me more than once! It’s not hard. I just have to be open to the possibilities that the Holy Spirit offers me. 

When I ignore opportunities, I usually end up feeling bad about myself. But, when I listen and follow through on the nudges of the Holy Spirit, I find that I am blessed beyond measure! As Rachel Held Evans says in “Searching for Sunday”, ‘Pay Attention!’

This Christmas and always, may you listen to the nudges of the Holy Spirit, pay attention and be blessed!

Margaret Williams 

No comments: