Saturday, December 09, 2017

Devotional 12-9-17

RECALCULATING

“Recalculating,” that blessed and sometimes cursed word uttered by our GPS. I tend to lean towards the cursed side… I plugged in an address – or if I’m feeling especially smarty pants > coordinates > for my destination and off I go. When I have followed everything to the letter, or so I think, I hear that word emanating from my dash board – RECALCULATING. I immediately slam into panic mode and ask – out loud (even if I’m the only one in the car) – “WHY? What do I need to recalculate?” I search the screen and my surroundings, wishing that I had the gift of a chameleon’s eyes and could make each one move and focus in its own direction.  Rarely a tragedy, I eventually get back on course.

I wonder if Mary and Joseph, as they set out on their wild, donkey road trip to Bethlehem, would have liked a GPS > or at least a note from Herod saying he had recalculated, and they indeed did NOT need to make the trip. Once road bound, a quick search for Point of Interest/Lodging could have been useful.

Yet on they trudged –directly into the face of overwhelming obstacles.

The wise men knew how to get home. A voice in a dream told them to recalculate.

Mary and Joseph knew their young son wasn’t with them on a journey home – so they had to recalculate (even follow the more direct command –‘Make a U turn at the first opportunity’).

We will read as Easter approaches the words, “ …he turned his face towards Jerusalem” and we will want to shout, “NO! Recalculate. Recalculate. There is danger ahead.” But on He will go – straight into harm’s way > so that we can be forgiven for all the wrong turns we have made and will make.

Is it possible that our conscience, our upbringing, our association with a church, our association with church friends, serves as our LIFE GPS? My life could use such direction.  Not completely unlike the rich young ruler (except that I’m not rich or young or a ruler) I want to stand in front of a religious or moral life challenge and say, “Yeah. I do that.” Only to hear the word, Recalculating. I am not headed where I thought.

“I don’t want to give money to…” RECALCULATE.
“I don’t want to serve on…” RECALCULATE.
“I don’t want to be nice to…” RECALCULATE.
“I don’t want to…” RECALCULATE.

Think of being told to recalculate as being found. I thought I knew where I was going. Now I’m lost. But wait…someone sees me and is guiding me back onto a path.

This Christmas peek inside the stable. See that Mom and Dad and Baby have ARRIVED AT THEIR DESTINATION.  Understand that they came just for you and that the journey is just beginning. You will be asked many more times to RECALCULATE.

Steve Matthews

No comments: