Wednesday, December 06, 2017

Devotional 12-6-17


The Greatness of the Giver

Last week I received a package from California.  I wondered what I had done wrong. Sometimes when I search Amazon.com, I hit the wrong button, I order something that I did not intend to do. I have done that on a previous occasion. But to my surprise, it was a box of Truffles candy and a note from a former student from 18 years ago.  It made my day when I read her note!

This young lady complemented me for helping her apply to college in 1998.  She told me that she had completed her bachelor’s and master’s degree in addition to achieving her PhD.  She now is an advisor for pre-med students at Stanford.  Part of her work is to support students in achieving their career goals.  Then she said, “..as I had done for her.”  Boy, did that make me feel great!

 After reading the lectionary readings for my advent devotion yesterday and writing it, I began to think about my reaction to my gift and note from this young lady. It was complementary to ME, the Receiver. What about the Giver? God was very pleased with King David’s wanting to build him a temple but he did not want it.  He was pleased because of the intention.  We learn that the giving reflects the greatness of the giver and not the receiver.

I had been thinking what a great job I had done as her counselor.  What about the kind of person she had become?  Not many students would remember anything after 18 years much less take time in their busy lives take time to write a note of appreciation.  The giving reflects the greatness of this young lady and I am lucky to be the receiver!

During this time of Advent, we must remember that God GAVE his son for our sins.  We are the receivers of his greatness and mercy.

Hear our Prayer:
Heavenly Father, please keep us humble in understanding your gift to us and what it means.  Help us from being self-absorbed in what we do.  Your greatness is illustrated in your Gift and we are humble in receiving it.  Amen

Carolee Brown

No comments: