Monday, December 11, 2017

Devotional 12-11-17

Thessalonians 5:16-24
Rejoice always,pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus...

Paul has some very strange commands for us in this scripture. Rejoice always- if he had to live through my trials and tribulations, he wouldn’t expect me to live up to be ever rejoicing. Give thanks in all things? I just hit my thumb with a hammer, not something I am especially  thankful for. Pray continually? When would I ever get any work done or get to have fun? Way too much to expect, I’m only human you know.

 As I wrote the above words, it started me thinking. Every concern mentioned was centered on me. As Christians, we are supposed to think of others more and ourselves less.

My trials and tribulations , in fact , are child’s play compared to the things Paul suffered. Paul’s sufferings were child play compared to the sacrifice Jesus Christ suffered for my sake.

 Everyone goes through life, sometimes on the mountain top, sometimes in the valley. No one is immune from these ups and downs. If I followed Paul’s commands, I’d live a better life, not constantly focusing on self.

I’m not there, but am working on it.

Blessings in this Advent season.

Scott Ramsey

No comments: