Saturday, December 22, 2018

Devotional 12-22-18

Luke 1: 8-20

The reason this is late is because I was practicing my favorite pastime, procrastination.

I am guilty of that sin more than any other. I don’t know if it is laziness or the thrill of slipping something passed a deadline. I do not think it is noble in any way, shape, or fashion.

In looking at the story of the shepherds form the Christmas story, we have set before us just the opposite of procrastination.

The night lit up, the angels sang, the angel-in-chief announces the birth of Jesus and they are down the road.

Perhaps it is not possible for angels to appear to correct my character flaw but maybe they are here and I am just not paying attention. Exogenous stuff clutters our minds at this time of year. What to buy, travel plans, buying turkeys on sale and many more litter our thoughts and for me it is a lot easier to retreat to the basement and do nothing until the very last minute.

These things are not boulders. They are pebbles. They should not be the fuel for the fire of putting things off. When things stack up it can ruin our attention to the angels that are right here, right now.

Let us be more like the shepherds and just get up and go be a part of joyful part of Christmas.

Mike Bowen

No comments: