Saturday, December 15, 2018

Devotional 12-15-18

Even the Back That Doesn’t Show

Philippians 4:4-7 New International Version (NIV)

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

During World War II, my father, a navy Ensign, was stationed in Norfolk, Virginia. As I understand it, he and his men patrolled the eastern seacoast searching for enemy ships. I believe he lived on base, but my mother and brother Bert lived in town with a woman named Josie Matthews. When the war was over, my father, mother, and brother moved back to Huntington, WV, the city where my parents had met. They bought a house at 314 Wilson Court, Jimmy was born in ‘48, and I came along in ‘52.

My parents and Mrs. Matthews stayed in touch. I know this because she sent Christmas presents many times over the years. I thought she was pretty special because she sent them to me even though we had never met. One present in particular, sent in1958, made me so happy that I still have it. It was a spiral bound, pop-up book called The Shiniest Star. It was written by Beth Vardon and illustrated by Charlot Byj.

Three little angels, Crewcut, Pigtails, and Touslehead, were in charge of shining stars. Crewcut and Pigtails were pretty confidant about their abilities and had the stories to prove it. Crewcut’s star had saved some sailors who could not find the shoreline. Pigtails’ star had guided two lost children out of a forest. As far as Touslehead could see, her star hadn’t done anyone any good, but she just kept shining it – “Even the BACK, that doesn’t show!”

Well, you can imagine what happened! There was a great commotion on earth because a special baby was about to be born. Touslehead thought she was in the way, so she took her star to a less populated area. There she saw men on camels.

“It’s the Star that God has promised, Star of Guidance, Star of Love!”

Touslehead thought, “Am I dreaming? It’s MY star they’re speaking of!”

The star led the Magi to the Christ Child, and they all lived happily ever after – in Becky Wright’s five-year-old mind.

Sadly, sixty-five-year-old Becky Wright Warren knows that things are never that simple. We could look at this as a sweet children’s story, but the reading teacher in me is always looking for symbolism to find the author’s deeper meaning. Of course, this author is God. It doesn’t get much deeper than that!

I think the Star of Christmas is Jesus Christ. Like Touslehead and her star, I carry Jesus around with me everywhere. When I’m shining Him, I study, pray, witness, and sing to His glory. When I think I haven’t done enough, when I think I’m “in the desert” by myself, He is still my Star of Guidance, Star of Love.

Philippians 4:4-7 reminds me to rejoice in the Lord, show gentleness to all, and be calm in the knowledge that He is watching out for me. That’s easier said than done. Just in case, my star will be ready when some lost soul (probably me) is looking for the Christ Child. I’ll keep shining it – even the back that doesn’t show!

Please use the following hymn as a prayer of praise. (UMH p.206)

I want to walk as a child of the light.
I want to follow Jesus.
God set the stars to give light to the world.
The star of my life is Jesus.
In him there is no darkness at all.
The night and the day are both alike.
The Lamb is the light of the city of God.
Shine in my heart, Lord Jesus.
Amen

Becky Warren

No comments: