Saturday, December 20, 2014

Devotional 12-20-14

This time of Advent is so special, because it is the time when I really want to make the effort to sit and ponder.  It is the time I ask questions and think about the mystery of it all.  It is the time I just stop and be in the presence of God.  It is the time I need to be quiet and listen while wrestling with my questions.

Mary wrestled with questions and doubt.  Can you imagine what she must of went through, during the time between when the angel came and told her what was going to happen, until the time of Jesus’ birth.  How can this be?  How can I do this? Why me?

The struggles must of seemed insurmountable, and yet in the end, Mary accepted what was to be, and her faith was strengthened and her relationship with God continued to grow.

Each Advent season, I realize that I have two needs – to question and to believe.  God always offers us the chance to voice our questions and wrestle with our doubts, so we may have the opportunity to continue to grow in our faith.

Jesus also reminds us during this time of questioning, that not only did he come to tell us about God, but he also came to show us what God is like.  When people questioned Jesus about theology and rules, Jesus moved the discussion to relationships.  Jesus shows us over and over again that God wants to pull us deeper into relationship. God hears our questions and our doubts, and reaches out to us, always trying to draw us closer.

After Mary questioned and worried, she responded by saying in Luke 1: 46 - 49:

“My soul glorifies the Lord
and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
for He has been mindful of the humble state of his servant.
From now on all generations will call me blessed,
for the Mighty One has done great things for me –
Holy is his name.

God continues to reach out to each of us, as we question and search.  How will you respond to God today, as we realize what we truly believe in out hearts?

Blessings,  
Rev. Suzanne Ellis

No comments: