Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Devotional 12-10-14

God’s Gift of Love

Last fall my husband and I spent two days in Israel. As part of that trip we went through what the Israelis call the “life saving separation fence” (the wall) into Palestine to the city of Bethlehem to visit Jesus’ birth place. In this part of the world, rich in the history of three major religions (Jewish, Christian, and Muslim)
many holy sites are claimed by more than one of them. We waited in line in a Muslim mosque, that was built over Jesus’ birth place. Our Christian Palestinian guide explained that in Jesus’ time stables were often in caves and that pilgrims had been coming here since His birth.

As we funneled down the narrow staircase I wasn’t sure what to expect. Orthodox Christians were in charge of this site. They had created a setting fit for a king. The walls were covered with beautiful tapestries. On the floor on the right there was a large gold star with a blue center marking Jesus’ birth place. On the left there was a gold manger. I touched each in turn and said a quick prayer.
There were many people waiting in line behind me for their turn. I was standing in the stable where Jesus was born. But I was having trouble feeling it in that rich setting. Where was the humble stable? Then I looked up. I could still see the cave walls. That brought me back to the reality of the stable. I really was standing where Jesus was born!

At Christmas, we do the same thing the Orthodox Christians did. We try to create a celebration fit for a king. We forget to stop and look up past the lights, decorations and presents to the humble stable and the greatest gift of all, Jesus, God’s gift of love.

Margaret Williams

No comments: