Monday, December 15, 2014

Devotional 12-15-14

Please read Luke 1, vs. 26-38

This scripture is about the angel appearing to Mary and telling her that she has been chosen by the Lord to give birth to the Son of God. Mary’s only question was how she, a virgin, could give birth to this child. What a truly amazing young woman Mary is. The plans that she has for her life are put on hold. She accepts this pronouncement and says she is the Lord’s servant.

What a wonderful acceptance Mary has. I hope that I would be eager to obey something that would change my life this much. I’m afraid I would not. I would have all kinds of excuses for why I couldn’t do what I was supposed to do. I’d be too tired, too busy, too old, too ,too, too.

The words to an old hymn occasionally run through my mind. It may be my own angel telling me that I need to do the things I don’t want to do or I’m afraid to do. Maybe, during this Advent season we can all think twice before we pass up a chance to do something that would make our Lord smile. Maybe we should have the faith of a young woman who not only took the step that many would have avoided but also gave her heart to be broken by the loss of a son.

This Advent Season let us remember to...

Trust and Obey
When we walk with the Lord in the light of His Word,
What a glory He sheds on our way!
While we do His good will, He abides with us still,
And with all who will trust and obey.

Trust and obey, for there’s no other way
To be happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey.

Then in fellowship sweet we will sit at his feet,
Or we’ll walk by His side in the way;
What he says we will do, where He sends we will go;
Never fear, only trust and obey.

Dear Heavenly Father, as we celebrate this blessed season of the year, help us to have faith enough to accept your call to serve you even in places we are not comfortable, doing things we are not comfortable doing.

May we always be ready to trust and obey.
Amen.

Debbie McGinnis

No comments: