Saturday, December 17, 2011

Devotional 12-17-11

Landon’s Logic

Recently my grandson, Landon, came to spend the night. Landon and Don wrestled and played Super Hero vs. Villain, but as bedtime neared, I thought I should do something to get Landon ready to settle down. He took a warm bath where he formed words with foam letters which stuck to the side of the tub, he had a snack to get his tummy full, and then I offered to read his favorite book DC Super Friends Flying High. This book is part of the Step into Reading Series that encourages children to read for themselves.

I started the familiar saga of Batman, Superman, Flash, Green Lantern, and Aquaman by reading and pointing out the title, author, and illustrator. ( Once he told me he didn’t want to hear that part, but I told him if he had written a story or had drawn the pictures, he’d want people to know it.) As I read the story, I asked Landon what he thought would happen next and what else he saw in the pictures.

Landon had been extremely patient , but finally I pushed my luck. When I told him that the “c” in city had an “s” sound, he came back with the logical counter point that c was for cookie; therefore, it had the “k” sound. I told him that sometimes it didn’t. It was then that he said in an exasperated but respectful voice, “Grammy, I promise I’ll learn it if you’ll JUST READ THE STORY!”

So I read the story.

In the Bible, Jesus tells stories to make his teachings as simple as possible. His disciples tell stories so we can know the real Jesus Christ. Reverend Lipphardt tells us “the rest of the story” to make it even more relevant to our lives in 2012. We just need to read it. Landon promises we’ll learn it, if we just read the story. So does God.

P.S. My favorite story is found in Luke 1:1-40. Merry Christmas!

Becky Warren

No comments: