Saturday, December 10, 2011

Devotional 12-10-11

John 1: 19-28
Who are You?

In this passage, the Jewish leaders are confused and unsure who John is and what he is doing. The scribes question him as to whether he is the Christ……Elijah……..or a Prophet. When John answers no each question they demand an answer to take back to Jerusalem.

I think this question is central to our spiritual journey during Advent. This is a time of preparation!

As we “walk” toward Christmas, it is the time spent in prayer, bible-study, reflection and service that paves the road to a closer relationship with Jesus. I don’t think we can celebrate the true meaning of Christmas without Advent!

God revealed to John the Messiah! When John spoke of the lamb of God he knew what was ahead for Jesus. Yet he also rejoiced for the Light of the World gave way to eternal life! God with us!

I LOVE the Christmas season. The decorations, the parties, the search for that perfect gift. I DREADthe work of putting up decorations, cleaning the house before hosting a party and receiving another set of color-coordinated running clothes. I think you get my point. I enjoy the end result but not the effort required to get there.

If you are like me, I challenge you to embrace the work of Advent so that you can truly enjoy the Christmas season.

Who are you…………?

Prayer: Heavenly father we thank you for the many blessings you have given us. Life, family, friends and church. We thank you for this time of preparation as we point toward Christmas. Thank you for your son, thank you for his sacrifice and thank you for the promise of eternal life! Be with us as we search for the answers as to who we are.
Amen

Marv Jones

No comments: