Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Devotional 12-13-11

A couple weeks ago, Steve Matthews gave a wonderful sermon about getting out of your comfort zone, which must have made some impact on me. Kim was later whining about needing Advent devotions writers . I have successfully ignored her til now, but in the back of my mind Steve was saying "do it". So I reluctantly am giving it a try.

Christmas is approaching and everyone is busy buying gifts for people, either because they want to, or feel guilty about not buying them. 2 Corinthians 9:7 tells us that God loves a cheerful giver. I love a cheerful giver too. However, for there to be a cheerful giver, there must be a cheerful receiver.

Several years ago my Mother was very sick. She made many trips to the hospital for treatment. As she could no longer drive, and I was also retired and had plenty of time, I drove her to and from her appointments. I was so pleased that I was able to do this for her. Early on, she asked to give me money to help with the gasoline. What are you thinking Mother? I can certainly buy my own gasoline. I thought I was being kind to her by not taking her money. In fact, her feelings were hurt. Although she was very sick, she still needed to do this, not because I needed it, but she wanted to contribute to the cause. This was my pride which was hurting her feelings, very selfish on my part. This is when I discovered the concept of the "Cheerful Receiver". I finally let her make a contribution for the gasoline. This pleased her, and that was what I wanted to for Mother.

So remember, if someone wants to do something for you, don't brush it aside because of your pride. Be a cheerful receiver.

Scott Ramsey

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Carlton Scott, I think you did a great job moving out of your comfort zone. I'll be looking forward to another devotional in the future.