Tuesday, December 26, 2006

December 26 Devotion

Luke 2: 1-20

I have read today’s lectionary reading on several occasions but this time, I understand what a long journey the trip was for Mary and Joseph. They traveled from Nazareth in Galilee to Judea, to Bethlehem . I made that trip last October when I visited Israel. Reading these verses today seemed to be even more meaningful. I spent two nights in Nazareth, I rode a wooden boat on the Sea of Galilee, and I crossed the checkpoint at the Palestinian border to visit Bethlehem.

At Bethlehem, I visited the Church of the Nativity which is built over the spot where they say that Jesus was born. I placed my hand on the marble star which marks the spot where the manger was supposed to be. I tried to imagine what it was like for Joseph and Mary to have the baby born in a cave in a manger. I felt a closeness and it became so real to me.

When Jesus was born, there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby. An angel of the Lord appeared to them. At first they were afraid but the angel told them to not be afraid because she was bringing them joyful news. They told them that a savior had been born to them who was Christ the Lord. They would find him wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger. Then there came a great company of Heavenly Host singing, "Glory to God in the highest and on earth peace to men on whom His favor rests.” The shepherds went to Bethlehem to see Jesus; then they spread the news to all whom they saw. The angel had told them exactly as it was.

Christmas has had many meanings for me since my mother’s death. My parents came to visit Kimberly and me for Christmas in 1980. My mother became ill the day after Christmas which was the last time that I heard my mother’s voice. I took her to St. Mary’s Hospital that morning, December 26th.She was on a ventilator until the day she died, January 8th, 1981. Christmas for me after that always reminded me of my mother’s death. It took years for me to separate the two. Now I know that because of that baby’s birth, I will see my mother again.

My trip to Israel helped me to understand that even more. I have never felt so close to my mother than when I visited the olive grove at the Garden of Gethsemane. I could hear her singing her favorite hymn, “I come to the garden alone…”.

God has blessed me so much since that day that I lost my mother. I am sure that He understands my not wanting Christmas to come for so long because of my pain. I was celebrating the death of my mother instead of celebrating her life! He let me grow in my love and understanding of his promise. I am blessed with my family and my church family. God is Good.

Carol Brown

No comments: