Sunday, December 10, 2006

December 10 Devotion

Scripture: Philippians 1:1-11 and Luke 11:1-13

Meditation

It has always been a mystery to me how God answers prayers. I know that God does answer my prayers, yet I am amazed that it is so. How is it that the great God almighty, creator of heaven and earth, can find the time or the inclination to answer the supplication of one individual? With all the millions of prayers that are uttered daily by people all over the earth, how dare I think that I can merit even a tiny smidgen of the favor of the creator of everything?!
I don’t know. I do try hard to communicate with God. And yes, I am aware that at least half of communication is listening. I try to understand what it is that God is telling me: “yes,” “no,” “maybe,” “wait,” “do it now,” “forget it,” or “don’t bother me with trifles.” There are times when I don’t receive an answer – or none that I recognize. Somehow, things work out, and I know that God has taken care of it for me.

Of course, not all of my prayers are requests or supplications. If God pays any heed to me at all, it must be obvious that I am ever so grateful for the many good things that have come my way in this life! But, why me? How come I have always had enough to eat when million others are starving? How is it that I have a wonderful wife, a great family, true friends and good health when there are countless people who are not so fortunate?

Yes, it is a mystery; but as St. Augustine said, “What is it about God that you truly understand?”

Closing Prayer (George McDonald)
My prayers, God, flow from what I am not;
I think thy answers make me what I am.
Like weary waves, thought flows upon thought.
But the still depth beneath is all thine own,
and there thou mov’st in paths to us unknown.
Out of the strange strife thy peace is strangely wrought;
If the lion in us ray – thou answerest the lamb.

Charlie Lewis

No comments: