Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Devotional 11-30-16

Matthew 3:1-12

As a child, I loved Christmas. I looked forward to getting what I asked to get  A letter was written to Santa Claus detailing just what I wanted for Christmas. I searched through catalogs and made my list. When a little older to see if I was getting what I wanted, I would sneak around searching closets and places I thought my parents were hiding my presents.  Yes, I would even get under the tree, when no one was looking, untape some of my presents to see what they were.  I just could not wait. Not much of a surprise on Christmas morning, though.

Oh, I knew the Christmas story and participated at church in the telling and celebrating, but mostly, it was all about ME and gifts.  I thought Christmas would never arrive.

Now, decades later, I still love looking forward to Christmas and love giving more than receiving.  At my age there is not much I need or want. I do look forward to the music of the season, the lighting of the Advent Wreath, family and friends, the outside lights around houses and on Christmas trees, Christmas Eve service ( hopefully in the sanctuary of JM) and much more.

But most of all, I love that I have been given the greatest gift. The gift of the forgiveness of my sins and eternal life with God’s gift to us all, His Son.

Let’s prepare our hearts and minds for Christmas. Our Lord and Savior is coming.   Amen
Kay Lewis

No comments: