Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Devotional 11-29-16

A Christmas carol and nursery rhyme I remember from my childhood goes something like this:   

          Christmas is coming, the goose is getting fat
          Please put a penny in the old man’s hat
          If you haven’t got a penny, a ha’penny will do
          If you haven’t got a ha’penny, then God bless you!


I thought this was some little known British poem until I found out it has been recorded and/or performed by such notables as Bing Crosby, the Kingston Trio and John Denver.

In this Advent season perhaps we should consider it not only the COMING season (as in the coming birth of Jesus) but consider it also the GIVING season. Let’s not wait until December 25th.

So what can I do, what can you do, to make Advent not only the COMING season, but also the GIVING season? Perhaps this can best be summed up by reading Acts 20 verse 35. “.....remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how He said, it is more blessed to give than to receive”.  I don’t think it means prettily wrapped packages under the tree. Yes, it will be fun to exchange gifts with family and friends but perhaps there is more that we can do, something we can do now during Advent.

I do not know personally anyone in need of food or clothing, or children with no toys, but there are many and groups and programs can fill those needs if only we support them. I hesitate to name any particular group or program but you know them as well as I do, the groups who donate food, clothing, toys. In our own church we have programs to meet those needs but they need our support.

Let’s start the GIVING now!
Jean Dean

No comments: