Sunday, December 05, 2010

Devotional 12-5-10

People Who Prepared The Way For Us


Matthew 3:1-11 & Roman 15:4-13,

I joined John Wesley UMC in Lewisburg, W.V. when my brother David was the pastor in 1983. I received my call into the ministry during the Advent Season and Norman Snagg, a teammate of mine from W.V. Tech who was from West Palm Beach, Florida would drive from Montgomery, W.V. to Lewisburg on weekends. David and the members of John Wesley helped me hear God’s voice as I played basketball, and they prepared the way for me to be the person I am today. I have received so much encouragement since my dear David passed away on October 24, 2010. It is during the Advent Season, as we celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ that the Matthew and Romans passages of scripture encourage me. As someone reads this devotional for today on December 5, 2010, you may be grieving the loss of a loved one. This Christmas will not be the same without David or your loved one. I’m crying still, but I am getting stronger. John prepared the way, and Jesus gave his life. Romans 15:4 says, “for everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.” Because of John preparing the way for Jesus, and David and the members of John Wesley preparing the way for me to receive, respond and live out my call, I have infinite hope. Praise God. Amen. May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, during Advent and always, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.

Rev. Jeremiah Jasper

No comments: