Friday, December 03, 2010

Devotional 12-3-10

This was taken from the book THE PURPOSE OF CHRISTMAS by Rick Warren

The Purpose of Christmas

To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under the heavens. Ecclesiastes 3:1

Please read Luke 2: 8-14

Regardless of your background, religion, problems or circumstances, Christmas really is the best news you could get. Beneath all the visible sights and sounds of Christmas are some simple yet profound truths that can transform your life for better here on earth and forever in eternity. It is important for you to understand the implications of Christmas for your life.

God’s Christmas gift to you has three qualities that make it unique. First, it is the most expensive gift you’ll ever receive. It’s priceless. Jesus paid for it with his life! Second, it’s the only gift you’ll ever receive that will last forever. Finally, it is an extremely practical gift—one you’ll use every day for the rest of your life.

On that first Christmas night, the angel announced three purposes for the birth of Jesus:

Christmas is a time for Celebration!
Christmas is a time for Salvation!
Christmas is a time for Reconciliation!
The first purpose of Christmas is Celebration

The angel’s opening statement to the shepherds of Bethlehem. “I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people” Luke 2:10

The good news of Christmas is worth celebrating for three reasons:

It is personal: “I bring YOU.”
It is positive: “Good news of great joy.”
It is universal: “for ALL the people”. This news is for YOU!
God Loves You

“God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life.” The entire reason for Christmas is the love of God. God became one of us, a human being, so we could understand what he is really like.

God is with you

God came to earth at Christmas to remind you that he is always with you, no matter where you are, whether you feel it or not. You must connect or “tune in” to his presence. Whatever difficulty you are going through now in your life, God knows about it, cares about it, understands it and is going through it with you. You are not alone!

God is for you

God is mad about you! “God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world.” John 3:17

When you make a mistake, Jesus doesn’t rub it in. He RUBS IT OUT! He came to erase all your sins, mistakes, failures and regrets. Jesus came to same us, not to scare us. It is a reason to Celebrate!

Salvation

The second purpose of Christmas is salvation. The announcement of salvation for anyone in world who would accept it was the angel’s second declaration of good news to the Shepherds. “Today……..there has been born for you a Savior, who is Christ the Lord.” Luke 2:11 God is waiting to save you from Sin and yourself, save you for His purpose and save you by HIS Grace through Faith. But you’ve got to relax, quit trying to save yourself, let go and trust your savior to do it for you.

Reconciliation

The third purpose of Christmas is reconciliation. Christmas, the season of “Peace on earth, good will toward men “ is the perfect time to offer the gift of grace to others, while celebrating the grace God has shown you. Only when you feel fully forgiven yourself will you be able to forgive those who’ve hurt you most. Only as you are filled with the love of Jesus will you be able to let your hurt go and get on with your life.

In Jesus your past is forgiven, you get a purpose for living and you get a home in heaven. Jesus came to make a relationship with God possible.

Your Christmas Prayer

Dear God, thank you for sending your Son, Jesus, so I could get to know you. Thank you for loving me. Thank you for being with me all my life even when I didn’t know it. I realize I need a savior to set me free from sin, from myself, and from all the habits, hurts, and hang-up that mess up my life. I ask you to forgive me for my sins. I want to repent and live the way you created me to live. Be the Lord of my life and save me from my sins, and save me for your purpose. I want to learn to love you, trust you and become what you made me to be. Thank you for creating me and choosing me to be part of your family. Right now, by faith, I accept the Christmas gift of your Son. Fill me with your peace and assurance so I can be a peacemaker, and help me share this message of peace with others. In your name I pray, Amen

Melanie Herr

No comments: