Thursday, December 15, 2005

December 16 Devotion

Advent Thoughts

"Exit Strategy," a phrase we've heard many times in the last few months referring to the withdrawal of American troops from Iraq. As I walked in Ritter Park one morning wearing my headphones and listening to a talk show it occurred to me that there is a perfect God-given exit strategy out there for everyone in the whole world. It's the exit strategy that takes us from despair and hopelessness to the joy and hope of a new life. It takes us from sin and fear of death to redemption and belief in eternal life. Jesus said, "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life." (John 14 v.6). What a glorious "exit strategy" he has given to all who believe in him.

I don't always listen to the radio as I walk. Sometimes I just want to soak up the beauty around me without any voices to disturb my contemplation of the trees, the flowers and the sound of the creek as it flows to the river. Sometimes that sound is a gentle rippling whisper. After a time of rain the sound brings to mind West Virginia's rushing mountain streams. But whatever the sound or the season I'm reminded of God's gift of beauty that in the hustle and bustle of everyday life we may overlook. (Genesis 1 v.11 & 12).

As we move from Thanksgiving into the Christmas season with its joys and giving of gifts, let's share the greatest gift of all, our "exit strategy" from death into life.

Jean Dean

No comments: