Sunday, December 09, 2012

Devotional 12-9-12

“. . .the word of God came to John son of Zechariah (and Elizabeth) in the wilderness. He went into all the region around the Jordon, proclaiming a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins, as it is written in the book of the words of the prophet Isaiah, - ‘the voice of one crying out in the wilderness: Prepare the way of the Lord, make his paths straight. . .’”    (Luke 3: 2-4)

In 2001 after having been diagnosed with a chronic heart condition I had a near death experience that changed my faith journey and set me in a new direction in my life.  Out of that life experience, one of my spiritual disciplines became the daily practice of “praying the Scriptures – lectio divina” as taught by the Benedictines.  That life-changing and lifesaving experience of being in relationship to God - communicating, listening and praying with God’s own word - has continued to sustain my life for several years.

Lectio divina is often described in terms of four stages: lectio (reading), meditatio (meditation), oratio (prayer), and contemplatio (contemplation).  These stages are more of a description of what happens in “praying the Scripture” than steps we must follow.  It is time and communication with God through God’s own word.

Today, in the midst of a busy secular observance and consumer filled experience of observing Christmas I find myself yearning for the quiet experience of preparing myself and being a part of preparing all that is around me for the way of the Lord.  Right here in the midst of a busy holiday activity God is calling each of us to make the path straight.  That is why for centuries the Church has observed the holy season of Advent – a distinct period of time for preparation, anticipation, and expectation.  God has chosen to come into human life!

Find a quiet place. Read the Gospel lesson for this Second Sunday in Advent – Luke 3:1-6; read it aloud if you possibly can.  Read it once, twice, and even a third time.  As you read – catch a word, a phrase.  (What word or thought might God be giving you in the moment?)  Say the word, “chew on it”, and let go of any other thoughts (and busyness) – meditate on the word, the phrase,  and let it flow as you talk with God, as you listen to God.  And in the quietness of the moment let go of the words, thoughts and simply be in God’s holy presence.

O God, how much more can I prepare, what more is there to do?  Forgive all the trappings, all the demands, the rush, the push. Keep me quietly centered and focused.  Like the psalmist sang – “you show me the path of life”. (Psalm 16:11)  My path is crooked, make it straight.  O God, thank you for your gift of life.  Thank you for the gift of your Son, Jesus – you choosing to become human, becoming a baby in Bethlehem.  Keep me on your path, keep me in your way. Guide my life, O God.  Make smooth that which is rough.  O God, you are the path;  you are the way!  Amen.”  (Personal Journal entry, Advent 2012)           

Dr. William Wilson

No comments: