Friday, December 14, 2012

Devotional 12-14-12

Phil 4: 4-7

I am sure it was during my time with the youth group that I first heard and committed to weak utterly horrible memory this section from the book of Philippians.

However it never had the life until I reached the my early 50’s.

To make a long story short, my mother was diagnosed with an Altzheimers-like dementia that brought with it more fear and uncertainty than I ever anticipated or imagined.

I have a wonderful sister and brother, and we all lived somewhere other than my mother’s home in Lynchburg, Virginia. There were tremendous life altering decisions and circumstances that needed to be made, and I mistakenly assumed that I would know what to do. I didn’t.

At some point in some very bleak nights and 365 mile drives between my home and Lynchburg this is one thing I could remember that offered hope and peace over time.

Another thing. Even in my mom’s very foggy memory she would say the last part of this verse from time to time.

We live in some moments, from time to time, that we all need some hope.
4 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Merry Christmas.

Mike Bowen

No comments: