Thursday, December 11, 2008

Devotional 12-12-08

“There once was a man, his man John, sent by God to point out the way to the Life-Light. He came to show everyone where to look, who to believe in. John was not himself the Light; he was there to show the way to the Light.” (John 1:6-8) THE MESSAGE


The lectionary readings for this week in Advent come from Psalm 126; Jeremiah 61:1-4, 8-11; John 1:6-8, 19-28; and I Thessalonians 5:16-24. Each passage expresses a grateful response to God - as He restored Israel from exile; as He empowered John the Baptist to be a witness to the Light of Christ; and as He enabled Paul to proclaim the Gospel to a darkened world.

Several months ago I attended a Directed Spiritual Retreat – my first experience of intentional solitude. It was a 24-hour period devoted to centering prayer, spiritual direction, silence, rest. We were encouraged to walk through the center’s labyrinth and rooms – each offering its own focus for prayer or meditation. One such space was devoted to the women identified in scripture, beginning with Eve, spiraling outward to include “women looking through windows” (what women do when men go off to war – Ecclesiastes 12:3); “daughters compared to pillars” (supporting the family dwelling – Psalm 144:12); “God as mother” (Hosea 11:3-4); “the Canaanite Woman” (argues that both Gentiles [dogs] and Jews [children] are fed from the same source and so saves her child – Matthew 15:21-28).

Also included was “the widow who offered her last pennies” (gratefully offering everything to the source of her hope –Mark 12:38-44 and Luke21:1-4). Why did this reference stand out more than any other? I had heard this passage many times, yet I had never “heard” this passage speak in such contemporary language.

I was suddenly, and painfully, aware of my failure to witness to the Light of Christ – simply because I had been too preoccupied with my misguided perceptions of the depth or sincerity of someone else’s offering. More personally, for years I had been focusing on what I perceived to be a one-sided relationship with someone I love very much. Where was the warmth, love or confirmation I believed I desperately needed from the one who seemed to be unwilling to offer such reassurances? What a jolt this passage of scripture gave me! I realized that in this particular situation, I was being offered the very best, the epitome, the everything humanly possible, this person I loved could give me. How can anyone ask for or expect more than another’s all? How tragic that I had been ignorant of the love so freely expressed; blind to blessing upon blessing so sacrificially given.

This Advent Season I pray for the gift of insight and appreciation. I pray that my heart will no longer “measure” the depth or sincerity of anyone’s witness to the Light of Christ – other than my own. I pray for forgiveness for my judgmental attitudes, and ask for a humbled spirit, so that I too may be a loving witness to the Light of Christ. Amen

Linda Summers

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Exceptional insight. Wow. Thanks (for taking the time) to be so transparent. Merry Christmas!