Wednesday, December 21, 2005

December 22 Devotion

It is interesting to look into the Old Testament and read a story with events similar to Jesus’. Judges: 2-24 is the story foretelling the birth of Samson. Angels speak to mortals, miracles occur; the purpose of Samson's life is laid out. And rules of behavior are explained. This Scripture tells us Manoah fears God will kill him. At the same time God blesses Samson.

Miracles. Contradictions. How literally shall we take the details?  What relevance does this Scripture have for my life?  Why take time today for this story?  How could they think God would kill them for looking upon Him?  Sometimes Bible verses leave us asking more questions than they answer.

Many times I simply absorb and keep a story with me. I weave together experiences and information, thoughts and feelings. Christmas is the perfect time to see wonderful gifts in complicated packages. Samson's birth must have seemed an incredible blessing from God to a childless couple. But try to imagine the news of your pregnancy coming from an angel making rules about your diet.

December 22 is the day I lost my dear maternal grandfather. He had been in a nursing home with Alzheimer's for a year. A few weeks before his death, he rallied and spoke to me. I had the opportunity to ask him if he was hungry or cold or in pain. He told me he wasn't and asked me to bring his great-grandchildren, then 5 and 2, closer to him.

I regard this experience as a wonderful gift from God. In the year he was so ill, I had rocked my children to sleep, with tears falling on them because I worried my grandfather was suffering.

December 24 we laid my grandfather to rest. His burial was in a country cemetery in northern West Virginia. From the cemetery I drove directly to Johnson Memorial, arriving just as the Children's Christmas Eve Service began, the sanctuary full of singing and excitement. Charlie and his mom had taken care of all the last minute Christmas details.

My Johnson Memorial family held me and helped me cope that Christmas.

Sue Sisson

To leave a comment for this author, go to http://jmadvent.blogspot.com

No comments: