Sunday, December 11, 2005

December 11 Devotion

It just occured to me that I forgot to send out Sunday's devotions.  So sorry!  So I'll spend this evening catching up.  Kim

Never Give Up

Middle School track…makes one learn patience whether one wants to or not. The venue, Laidley Field in Charleston; the event, 200m low hurdles. Grant, our 12 year old, then 11, was a full-fledged member of the Beverly Hills Middle School track team.  Already a seasoned shuttle hurdler, he was asked this particular evening to run the 200-meter low hurdles, an event he had never run.  The event started on the section of the track furthest from the stands so that it ended in front of the crowd. The runners lined up, and Grant’s groupies -- Mom, Dad, brother, Grandma and friends rushed to the fence for the two minute event.  I was watching through binoculars as the starting gun fired.  The field is poorly lit on the outside fringes, and the hurdles were a height unfamiliar to my favorite runner.  As he stretched to clear the first hurdle -- he did not.  He caught the edge of his foot on the edge of the hurdle and went down -- flat.  As I watched the fall unfold, larger than life (remember the binoculars), my heart stopped.  I wanted to jump the fence and run to him.  While the thought was still gelling in my mind, he got up.  He continued the race, clearing all remaining hurdles and to top off the story with whipped cream and a cherry, he finished ahead of two other runners in his heat.

Jesus was born in a stable, and he didn't give up.  He was taunted by the skeptics, and he didn't give up.  He asked to be relieved of his burden on the cross, and he didn't give up.  He didn't give up then, and he won't give up on us now.  This Advent season let us remember his determination and when we trip on our hurdles and lay on the pavement flat on our faces, let's not give up on Him. Get up and run the race knowing that He is at the finish line.

Steve Matthews

Sunday Evening

The Voice of Truth

Scripture: Psalm 46

What an interesting October I have had.

The first half of the month was spent in preparation for Laity Sunday.  I had been asked to deliver the sermon.  I had spent a couple of weeks thinking about the lectionary reading -- the "Greatest Commandment" passage from Matthew. T he talk I was preparing in my mind really wasn't coming together.  Jeff Taylor (our lay leader, who had asked me to speak, and had gotten me into this mess) was emailing me, asking for a few details that he needed in order to put together the service.  I wasn't ready to give answers; nothing seemed quite right.

I took another look at the lectionary reading for the day. WHAT?  It wasn't the Greatest Commandment -- it was actually the Matthew passage "Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things that are God's."  No need to panic, I told myself.  There isn't actually a rule that says ONE MUST GIVE A TALK CONCERNING THE LECTIONARY READING.  I could just continue on with what I had planned -- even though I didn't really like it.  After all, speaking about loving God, oneself and one's neighbor had to be easier than speaking about TAXES. Right?

Finally, I let go of what I had planned, and considered the actual lectionary reading.  In about an hour I realized that the Caesar passage would work much better.  God and I worked on that "talk" for the rest of the week.  I drove around with my car radio off, I woke up early in the mornings (not on purpose), and I spent quiet time thinking about what to say.  One particular part of the talk that God placed in my path was the song The Voice of Truth by Casting Crowns.  That week, I bought a CD at WalMart (just by chance), stuck it in the CD player in the car, and listened.  The Voice of Truth was the first track. I had heard this song before, but never really listened to it.  This time I listened. The words were perfect; I used it in three places in the talk.

Later that month I attended the Walk to Emmaus.  As part of that experience, I was in a worship service in which we were asked to consider our worries and our concerns.  What role could God play in these concerns?  What would God have us to do?  I again felt that God was working in my life, laying thoughts on my heart during these prayers.

But, have you ever wondered if God was at work in your life, or if you were only talking to yourself?  I did that night. Was this God, or was this only me?

The time of silent prayer was over, and the wonderful musical team began to sing.  Guess what song they sang?  The Voice of Truth.  God works in our lives, and He has a wonderful sense of humor.

Advent is about the coming of Christ.  We celebrate His coming at Christmas.  We consider His second entry into the world during Advent. Perhaps we also need to take time to remember that He comes into our lives everyday, if we are only quiet enough to pay attention.

But the Voice of Truth tells me a different story.

The Voice of Truth says, "Do not be afraid,"
And the Voice of Truth says, "This is for my glory."
Out of all the voices calling out to me,
I will choose to listen and believe
The Voice of Truth.

Psalm 45:10a: Be still, and know that I am God.

Kim Matthews

 

To leave a comment for the authors, go to http://jmadvent.blogspot.com

No comments: