Friday, December 29, 2006

December 29 Devotion

Scripture: Genesis 1:1-2:4 – the story of the beginning.

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth… and He saw that it was good.

In the beginning God… Let’s start there. Everyday is a beginning from God – if we will only let it be. Today is the 22nd anniversary of my first date with Kim. A beginning that neither of us expected but a beginning from God which led to other beginnings; church, marriage, children…and He saw that it was good. By this time next year, I will have known Kim longer than I did not know her.

My job requires that I drive. Some would say a lot. My travels take me to and fro between four states. Now throw into the mix the fact that I love the fall and equally dislike the winter. My October, November trips are spectacular. By December, January I am wondering if I will ever see color or be warm again. As the landscape becomes more and more lifeless and bland and I think I have had all I can stand >> the Red Bud appears. It is the first color to show and says, “Hang in there, weary traveler, spring is coming and with it a new beginning.”

When we feel that life is just the same stuff-different day, that a beginning isn’t coming, we need to remember the faith of Noah. Noah was 480 years old when he began building a boat on dry land. It took him 120 years to complete it, and through it all he had NEVER seen rain. He had faith that God had beginnings in store. We have unrealized blessing and beginnings; our health, our families, our friends. At Christmas time, all those years ago, God gave us the ultimate beginning, His Son and with it the daily beginning of our walk with our Savior.

In the beginning God (insert your blessing here)… and He saw that it was good.

Steve Matthews

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just last night I told my wife that Steve is the most positive person I've ever known. He can always find "the good" in (fill in the blank.) This devotional proved me right. (And I'm usually right!)