Monday, December 18, 2006

December 18 Devotion

Please read Numbers 16: 1—19

This passage tells of a confrontation between prominent religious leaders and Moses.

As they wandered in the dessert, feasting on manna day in and day out, they had grown impatient with Moses, who promised them a land flowing with milk and honey. They expected the realization of that promise sooner…like maybe in their lifetimes.

I can identify with the people of Israel. I want my leaders to produce. I want them to produce now. Not tomorrow, and not for the next generation. Today.

Sadly, this way of thinking is true in the Church as well as in the world. We expect our ministers to come up with the programs and ministries and funding to make our church what we expect it should be.

But can you identify with Moses? What would it have been like to have been in Moses’ sandals? He never asked for the ministry to which he was called, and even tried to talk God out of it. He had a tough message to sell the people of Israel. Sometimes when we don’t like the message, we take it out on the messenger.

Have you ever heard the gospel of Jesus Christ? Getting to the good news means denying self, taking up a cross, gaining by losing, of the last being first. It is not a message that is easy to hear, particularly when I am on my high horse. I want pearly gates and streets of gold. I want to come to church, see my friends, hear some wonderful music, and some inspiring words. I want to be affirmed and confirmed by the pastor, not confronted with obstacles to grace.

Moses had a close relationship with God. He trusted and obeyed God in spite of the fact that it made him unpopular. Had I been in his shoes, I might have taken the easy route. I might have given in to the masses and become a hero of the world. Thank God for Moses, and thank God for pastors who preach the truth in word and deed.

Dear God, Give us courage to trust in you and in those you call to shepherd your people through the wilderness of life to the Kingdom of God.

Anonymous

No comments: