Sunday, December 12, 2004

Devotional 12-12-04 Evening

Say The Word


Suggested reading: John 14:15-27

About a year ago, our older son, Grant, was acolyting with his friend Jameson. One of the boys’ taper lighters was caught in a gust of wind. The flame died as the two boys reached the altar. Without forethought or coordination, the one friend reached for the light of the other; the light was shared, and they continued in their mission to light the service.

Wouldn’t it be wonderful if we would reach for God in the same way? Many years ago, two people where I work were having problems – difficult, impossible to solve conflicts. At times, I was asked to be a mediator in their meetings. I knew, from seeing their problems first hand, that it would be an almost insurmountable task for these two people ever to develop trust or any kind of business relationship. After several months of worrying about the situation, I realized that I had never prayed about it. So I did.

I would like to tell you that after I prayed, happiness blossomed at work. It did not. One of the employees applied for a different job and was promoted. Our situations do not always have happy endings. The employee who was promoted had to move to another city, leave her home and her family, but in the end, it was the best possible solution to the problem for all involved. I had asked God to help these people find a way out of the conflict. I think he did, and I know he helped me to understand that sometimes the best solution isn’t always a happy ending in the short term.

Why is it that sometimes we do not reach for the light of God? Why do we ignore Him or forget to pray? Do we need to feel in control? Do we need to think that we can solve all of our problems ourselves? Do we sometimes think that we should find the strength to deal with life alone? There is great power and love at our fingertips, if we would only remember to reach for it.
George Rowe and Brian Steckler wrote a song called Say the Word. Here is the chorus:

From near or far to where you are
You’ll find me there from anywhere.
With no restraint, just whisper faith.
You will be heard.
Say the word.
And I will be with you
Until forever is only the beginning.
Just say the word.


John 14: Verse 27: Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

Until forever is only the beginning.

Kim Matthews

No comments: