Saturday, December 11, 2004

Devotional 12-11-09

The Little Saxophone Boy

Whatever your task, work heartily, as serving the Lord and not men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward; you are serving the Lord Christ Colossians 3:23--24

I played my drum for Him,
pa-rum-pum-pum-pum,
I played my best for Him,
pa-rum-pum-pum-pum, rum-pum-pum- pum, rum-pum, pum, pum.


"The Little Drummer Boy"
Words and music by Katherine Davis, Henry Onorati, and Harry Simeone


Last year, my youngest son, Vinny, and I were on our way to the Family Christmas Eve Service, where Vinny was to play a solo on his saxophone. Several weeks earlier our choir director, Randy Turpin, discovered he and Sam Shideler were playing saxophones in their middle school bands and asked if they knew any sacred music. They played "Ode to Joy" at an early service, but tonight Sam was out of town so Vinny was on his own.

As we were driving along Ritter Park, we heard the song "The Little Drummer Boy" on the car radio. This song instantly brought back many memories for me. I'm old enough to remember when it was first recorded in 1958 and the TV show that followed and became an annual part of Christmas. My fondest memory is reading the book, which features beautiful pictures by Ezra Jack Keats, to my boys. I suddenly became aware of the line, "I played my best for him."

“That's what you're doing tonight," I said to my son.

"What do you mean?"

"You're playing your saxophone for Jesus just like the Little Drummer Boy played his drum. You're sharing your talent with the congregation, but at the same time it's a gift for the baby."

Vinny played well that night. I had that proud-mother feeling that warms your cheeks and makes your heart pound a little faster, and I thought to myself, "He played his best for Him."

We are called to give our best to God in everything we do. The Scripture from Colossians says to work heartily whatever your task. Isn't it a pleasure to be around someone who genuinely loves his/her job? Last summer I encountered an airline security woman who was so friendly and funny she made all the passengers, who had to stand in long lines to go through security checks, smile as they handed her their ID's. She was a real blessing to me that day. Just think how many lives she touches every day.

There are many people in our church family who regularly give their best to God and by doing so touch many lives as well. We all have different talents. Some can build a Habitat House. Some can cook, or clean. Some can sing or teach or visit. Some can take care of financial matters or work on outreach projects. We all have endless opportunities to do our best.

In Romans 12 Paul wrote, "Having gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, let us use them....

This Christmas, play your best for Him!
And in the New Year, play your best for Him!

Anita Farrell

No comments: