Thursday, December 07, 2023

Devotion - December 7, 2023

 I love to sing. Church choir is my favorite activity. My favorite time is Christmas.  I love the carols and stories of Christmastime. This year is more appreciated than usual. Last August I had minor throat surgery.  They did warn me I might lose my voice, but didn’t mention it might not be the same or that it could take six months to get it back!  They promised it would come back, allowing that no surgical disasters occur. 

Surgery went well, but I did have no voice. I identify as a high soprano. I struggled to “hit” middle C – no longer the C  2 octaves higher. No sound I made sounded like singing. I wasn’t prepared for how sad it would make me. I sing in an auditioned ensemble. I listened to a recording and couldn’t sing with my part as I heard my voice singing in the recording. None of those notes were mine now.  It made me cry. The voice was just gone.  I didn’t rejoin the choir or my group when they restarted in the fall. I was very sad.  

The doctor recommended a voice therapist for me. The therapist got me started getting some notes back.  She said I should join my groups – just sing alto instead!  That worked – and I kept moving up - from tenor back to 2nd soprano!  I hope to be a 1st soprano again to sing for Christmas.  That would be my best present ever. If I’m now forever a 2nd -- I’m becoming fine with that, too.

The Spirit walked beside me through it all. I’m feeling so grateful - For patient and encouraging friends, healthy healing, and beautiful music to inspire. I hope you have a happy-ending story or two to share this year too.  

Great Creator, Lord of the Dance,  Help us appreciate the life you’ve given us, as we go through the good and bad, the happy and sad. You’re right by our side holding us up through the sad, as well as smiling and laughing with us at life as it comes, as we zoom through our days.  We’re grateful for your constant presence.  We just couldn’t do this without you!   Thanks for our friend, your son!  Amen 

Jill Henton

No comments: