Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Devotion - December 13, 2023

What Gets Left Behind

Isaiah 61:9 Their descendants shall be known among the nations and their offspring among the peoples; all who see them shall acknowledge that they are a people who the LORD has blessed.

Nearly 20 years ago I wrote a devotional about leaving a legacy. My sons were 11 and 8. I wrote of a song on Christian radio that especially moved me. It started out, “I want to leave a legacy, how will they remember me? Did I choose to love…” I still think about these things even though Grant and Josh are now 30 and 27. The story of legacy and what is being passed on added a layer this summer when my dad, 90 years old, passed away. Dad was not cuddly – not a lot of lap sitting and book reading but he was ALWAYS there. He supported my brother and me in whatever adventure we chose to embark on. There was NEVER a moment in my life that I ever doubted that he loved us. Dad could be gruff and opinionated. His circle of friends – at least to my eyes prior to August 1st – was small. Mom passed away in 2009 and while Dad did not close himself up, he just didn’t seem to be as willing to converse with strangers like Mom. I have never been more glad to be more wrong!!! Since his passing, Rob and I have fielded numerous phone calls, read countless cards, and been stopped in the street in front of his house by other residents, all telling of how much they enjoyed talking to him and how he “looked after” his neighbors. THAT’S a quality I would like for my sons to someday learn about me. That I chose to love, to be kind, to be watchful and caring, to be… like Grandpa. 

What my dad left behind was a legacy of immense talent in work working. Carvings that we will share and enjoy for all time. He left behind a legacy of being there for his children, his friends, and his neighbors. He left behind qualities worth emulating and as a son, passing on to my own children. Christ left behind a legacy that reads much the same: caring, sharing, giving and His example is to be followed. But what a comfort to be part of a people blessed by God – right here on earth – that we can model after to be more Christlike.

Steve Matthews

No comments: